Thursday 23 January 2014

Cinderella you shall go to the ball




Stage Fright!

Tonight is the very first performance of my local pantomime, Cinderella - that I will be starring in! It is truly terrifying for me because I am often not the most confident of people, and I have never done anything on this scale before. I think the most people I have ever sung/acted in front of has to be less than five. However, I am trying to stay calm because I absolutely panicked at the dress rehearsal last night - like a goldfish in the spotlight it was so humiliating. There were only about 10 people in the 'audience' last night for the dress rehearsal, but to me it felt like a million. I felt really sweaty, shaky and I just got spooked. Therefore, today I am trying a very different approach. I am going to try and be calm and collected - according to most of the interweb, this is the way to overcome stage fright. Anything is worth a try.


Today must be spent releasing positive energy all day then, and I must think of only what can go perfectly, rather than switching to my usual Domesday tactics. Let's kick off with some positive talk (okay, typing - but you know what I mean). There is a reason that I have been chosen for the part. I can sing well, and I have been told this by people I trust. I have done it right many, many times and wrong a significantly smaller amount of times. I know my lines and I know what I am doing. The audience do not exist, and with the lights I can't see them anyway. I should focus on my character and what I am supposed to be doing, rather than thinking only of the audience.


What do you think? I'm just going to try and be calm all day, and although I will obviously be thinking about it, but only in a positive way. I'm going to have a really enjoyable time, as this is a career path that I am potentially looking at, because musical theatre is something that I very much enjoy doing. I just need to take it down a notch, ignore the audience and concentrate on what I am doing - and try to do it to the best of my ability, and not judge myself according to what I think the audience might be thinking that I'm thinking. God, I'm such a worrier!

Time to listen to relaxing music on Youtube and Google ways to beat stage fright and pre-stage performance nerves....

Wish me luck! Do you have any tips for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment